Skip to main content

How do I tackle Bloggers' Block and Reading Block?




Many personal bloggers are prolific posters. They share their daily movements and family stories with such ease and abandon.  They seem chirpy, busy people with lots of interests. On the other hand, they might really be quite boring and full of their own sense of importance.  Whatever!  They’re having fun and are keen to share themselves with us through their blogs and social media. 

I read and indeed subscribe to many of these bloggers but for some reason I am uncomfortable sharing my own movements, life experiences, innermost thoughts and feelings, hobbies, relationships, etc..  I’d like to think I’m no less interesting a person than the average blogger but I have doubts as to whether people would be interested in much of what I get up to and what I think. 

For some, personal blogging is a more serious affair.   They may focus on something they are really passionate about, like music or politics or they may focus on a cause, like their struggle with cancer or depression. I have no one particular message, driving passion or personal issue to focus my blog although I do like delving into other people’s especially when they are well presented and include some humour.  

I’ve noticed a significant number use their personal blogs to develop their creative writing aspirations and promote their books.  I have no such aspirations.  I would never have the patience or the imagination to write a book or even a short story. I do however like to post my rants, and my random thoughts on places, news, music and events, and of course my photographs.  

That said, I am struggling to maintain focus on those things and my posts are becoming less frequent. As soon as I think of something topical to blog about, I see someone else has done it. When I do start writing a post, I bore myself halfway through and give up.  I have many drafts that probably won’t ever be pinged into cyberspace.

Whilst I do enjoy reading other people’s blogs on a daily basis, I have also lost the inclination and enjoyment in reading books. In my working life as a town planner, I used to have to read many studies, reports, surveys, appraisals, legal documents, etc.  So, when I retired, and I didn’t have to wade through such heavy reading material, I started to enjoy reading books, especially novels and biographies as a pastime and for relaxation and stimulation. 

Just recently though, I’ve lost interest.  There is a pile of five books on my bedside table and there are others scattered about the house which I have started but not got beyond 50 pages.  They all seem well written and show promise but I run out of steam.  Then by the time I pick them up again I have to go back a chapter or two to remind myself what has happened and who the characters are.  As much as I love to pick up and hold a book in my hand, I just can’t seem to commit to finishing any.

I can see that there are a couple of obvious reasons for this. First I am spending more time watching stuff on YouTube.  It is addictive.  There is so much to discover.    I watch videos on music, history, travel, sport.... just about everything.  The time passes so quickly.  The second reason is that life is busy and some days I am too tired to concentrate on anything more than a couple of pages.  Reading short posts on my phone in a quiet moment is much easier.  To commit to reading a book (like writing a blog post) takes more effort and an ability to switch off from other things – something I find difficult. 

So....  I am surprised I have shared this particular struggle with you and I’m less than confident you will find it interesting.  But if you’ve got to this point, I’d love to know if you or someone you know has had a similar experience and suffered blogging/reading blockages.  I’d be grateful for any thoughts and advice.


Comments

  1. This all sounds fairly normal to me, Paul. I am nowadays in a pretty regular routine of a couple of posts most weeks, but have had spells where I haven’t felt like blogging, so I didn’t. The longest was seven months but there are quite a few one or two month gaps. Does that mean I have a block? No, I think it just means that I blog when I want to, when I feel like it, and it should be the same for you: don’t beat yourself up over it! Also, I’ve said it before, but one of the main things that keeps me going is interaction with readers: the more of them there are the better. You’ll get more of that too - if you can finally sort out your move to WordPress and leave this site behind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the reassurance Clive. I am still on the process of moving to WP. I imported my posts but there seems to be a text glitch which inserts slashes before every apostrophe?! The support people are looking into it. Shouldn't be long hopefully.

      Delete
  2. Every blogger suffers from writer's block and most, I imagine, have a deeper worry about the intrinsic worth of their offerings from time to time. Just remember this is normal. And keep going. You'd be surprised how much your posts are appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for that reassurance. I'll keep going. I am currently in the process of moving to WordPress in the hope I will get more readers to motivate me.

      Delete

Post a Comment