Skip to main content

#ThursdayDoors - Portovenere, Italy

Here is my entry for this week's Thursday Doors Photo Challenge hosted by Dan at 'No Facilities'.

This week my doors are in Portovenere, a pretty fishing village and Riviera gem overlooking the Gulf of La Spezia in Italy (visited by celebrities as Steven Spielberg, Apple’s Tim Cook, Patti Smith and Andrea Bocelli). There are colourful houses lining the harbour as in many other Italian seaside towns, but here they also form part of a historical structure called the Palazzata. These connected dwellings built into the rocky shoreline were part of the town’s fortified walls designed to protect residents, along with the ancient gate, Porta del Borgo (once locked in the evening), from seafaring invaders. To start here is a photo of Portovenere from the sea. The door photos are taken at the rear of those buildings fronting the waterfront.










Comments

  1. Oh my, you have some lovely doors here. My favorite is the very first single door. I like everything about that entrance. I also really like the waterfront scene.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dan. Yes, I like that one. Italian classical. Looks good against the pale yellow wall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful doors. This is one part of Italy I have not yet visited.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We wouldn't have thought to go there specifically but it was a stop on our Mediterranean cruise. Beautiful!

      Delete
  4. Lovely! I love that first green one.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these doors, especially #135 with the beautiful knocker. Italian doors are lovely.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment