Skip to main content

#ThursdayDoors - Saddleworth

Here is my entry for this week's Thursday Doors Photo Challenge hosted by Dan at 'No Facilities'.

This week I feature doors I photographed in nearby Saddleworth, Oldham.

Saddleworth is a pretty cluster of stone-built villages on the Yorkshire-Lancashire border nestled in the Pennine foothills.  The villages are Diggle, Dobcross, Delph, Denshaw, Greenfield and Uppermill (just when you were thinking they all had to begin with D) and they are all steeped in history and have a rich textile heritage.

Many homes were also textile workplaces and there are many examples of weavers' cottages.  Workrooms were generally on the top floor, skylighted by long mullioned windows to let in as much light as possible. Some houses still have steps known as ‘takin-in’ steps up to the first floor.  These were used to take the raw materials straight into the workroom.

The buildings are of simple, functional design and construction although there are larger, grander residences built for the owners and bosses of the textile businesses and Mills.

Unfortunately, with the exception of the first, my photographs were taken in winter so the grey skies do little to show off the wonderful colours and textures of the buildings in this area.   Also, my door photos are limited to Uppermill, Delph and Dobcross. (Note to self – take more photos of Saddleworth doors over the spring and summer.)

I hope you like them.


Courtyard in Uppermill (The doors are somewhat secondary in this wonderful 'pot garden' scene) 


Side door to farm building


Dobcross - Elegant front door to Manor House



Delph - One of the few older properties not yet improved



Dobcross -  I think the stone architrave/lintel has been renewed.  Notice the date '1747'


The Square, Dobcross


Dobcross - 'Takin' In' steps.


Dobcross - Blue door of old shared 'privvy'


Dobcross - Terraced cottage dating back to 1756

Comments

  1. I like that yellow door. Pretty to look at but not to put in my house tho.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are some beautiful doors in this group. I do hope you get to go back. I love the old stone buildings, and what stories those doors could tell of all the material and goods that moved in and out over many years. I love the photo of the Saddleworth Bank on that steep cobblestone street. I wouldn't mind sitting on that bench for a bit in the spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On a good day the benches are full of walkers and locals enjoying a nice java coffee available at the lovely old pub on the opposite side of the square. Unfortunately, you can't buy alcohol or go in at present due to covid restrictions.

      Delete
  3. Love the yellow door but I enjoyed all of them. I also love stone buildings so there's that. In the US, a pot garden wouldn't mean quite the same thing. :-) I think it would be fun to live in Diggle or Dobcross, just for the name if nothing else. Too bad about the pub. Hopefully it won't be too long before it can be open again.

    janet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are crazy names aren't they? Hopefully the pub will be open soon and I can enjoy some real cask ale again?

      Delete
  4. That yellow one is really a standout. But that last one is my favorite. Nice post.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like your doors and the way I can enlarge the photos and scroll between them with the mouse.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous photos. I love that yellow door but the old tattered on makes a great shot.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment